hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From <Milind.Bhandar...@emc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove append?
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:48:35 GMT
Eli,

To clarify a little bit, I think HDFS-3120 is the right thing to do, to
disable appends, while still enabling hsync in branch-1.

But, going forward, (say 0.23+) having appends working correctly will
definitely add value, and make HDFS more palatable for lots of other
workloads.

Of course, I have a vested interest in this, because our team is working
on a project that requires append and truncate, and we will be testing it
thoroughly at scale in Q2 this year. Would it be okay to wait for the
results of this testing ?

Thanks,

- milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Greenplum Labs, EMC
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and
do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
present, the author might be affiliated with.)