hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove append?
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 23:03:21 GMT
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Tsz Wo Sze <szetszwo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Do you think having the invariant that blocks are not mutated would
>> significantly simply the design?
>
> No.  As mentioned in my previous email and others, the complexity is in hflush.  Once
we have hflush, append is straightforward.

I understand that append is a small delta once you have hflush, what
I'm saying is that the overall design of the file system is
significantly simplified if you can assume blocks are not mutated. Eg
see the way truncate is going to interact with the current definition
of visible length (it violates it). Resolving issues like that are
non-trivial.

Thanks,
Eli