hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron T. Myers" <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:11:41 GMT
Hi Owen,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:

> Let's imagine that we already had a 2.0.0 release. Now we want to add
> features like HA. The only place to put that is in 2.1.0. On the other
> hand, you don't want to pull *ALL* of the changes from trunk. That is way
> too much scope. So the RM of the 2 branch needs to make the call of what
> should be 2.1 vs 3.0.

I don't think anyone disagrees with this line of reasoning. It's certainly
up to the RM what gets included in branch-2 and hence what gets put up for
release votes under the "2.y.z" version numbers. I don't think Todd was
suggesting we rename the JIRA version "0.24.0" to "2.1.0".

But, the question still remains of how to refer to the branch "trunk" in
JIRA. I don't think it should be called 3.0.0, as that's not necessarily
the next release that will come off of it, and using a version number for
trunk that changes from time to time has other downsides as I described in
my response to Arun. Given this, do you object to renaming the JIRA fix
version that refers to the branch trunk to "trunk" ?

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera