hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: a newbie question
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 05:05:16 GMT

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Peter S <htims.rm.p@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Harsh,
> Thanks a lot for the reply.  Some questions are inline.
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Peter,
>> (Inline)
>> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:06 AM, Peter S <htims.rm.p@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I realize the version numbers are actually different branches, e.g.
>> > branch-0.21, branch-0.22, branch-0.23, and trunk. I am wondering which
>> > branch should I use and develop on? Which one is most stable?
>> All new work is to go to trunk (presently numbered as 0.24).
> Then how about 1.0.*?  It seems in the beta version. But why trunk number
> is still 0.24?

1.0 is a rename of the 0.20 line, its not > 0.21+. Other branches will
be renamed eventually, but the rename has not happened yet. Agree its
confusing, but perhaps the illustrations on
and https://blogs.apache.org/bigtop/entry/all_you_wanted_to_know will
help you understand completely.

>> The page at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute goes over
>> setting up the trunk development workspace and should help you get
>> started.
>> What do you mean by "most stable"? Do you ask in terms of build stability?
> I mean in production.  From the release page:
> "
> 0.20.X - legacy stable version
> 0.20.203.X - current stable version
> 1.0.X - current beta version, 1.0 release
> 0.22.X - does not include security
> 0.23.X - current alpha version
> "
> I don't quite get this. Why 0.23.X is in alpha version, but 1.0.X is in
> beta version? And the 0.22.X doesn't include security. How does this
> release number work?
> For Cloudera version, will all the patches in CDH also in 1.0.X?

I think my previous comment should cover these questions. Its a
chaotic series of numbers after the rename happened partially, but the
numbering will stabilize soon.

Also, best to ask CDH specific questions over its active user forums
at https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/group/cdh-user/topics

>> > For hadoop common repo, which version should I use for a particular hdfs
>> > version?
>> Don't quite get this question.
> Because common repo and hdfs repo is separate, is it possible to have some
> incompatibility between the two.

The project was all merged back recently, you only need to use the
hadoop-common repository:

i.e. Use http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/ (or)
https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common /

Harsh J