hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: relative symbolic links in HDFS
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:30:52 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Daryn Sharp <daryn@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:41 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>>> Regardless, I do think it makes sense to have a convenience method to get the
>>> raw path that was supplied at symlink creation. The first thing I tried was
>>> Path#toString() so that I guess is pretty intuitive but I can't comment on
>>> whether that would break compatibility.
>>>

>> Would a method Path#getPathPart that returns just the path part of the
>> URI be sufficient?  This would be similar to java's URI#getPath
>> (remember in Hadoop Path == URI) which just returns the path part of a
>> URI.
>>
>> (It's unfortunate that the Path class is named "Path" since now we
>> don't have a good name for just the path part).
>
> I replied to another message in this thread regarding tracking the actual path.  If
I understand you correctly: In the FsShell, returning just the path component wouldn't be
of much use.  It needs the exact path/uri, as provided by the user, so its custom tracking
can be removed.

How about filing a jira which indicates the tracking code in FsShell
you'd like to remove and we can come up with an API that works.

Thanks,
Eli