hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Uma Maheswara Rao G <mahesw...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: What does hdfs balancer do after adding more disks to existing datanode.
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:56:48 GMT
Hi,

Current volume choosing policy is round robin fashion, Since the DN got new disk, balancer
will balance some blocks to this node. But the volume choosing will be same when palcing the
block. AFAIK, it wont do any special balancing between disks in the same node. please correct
me if i understood your question wrongly.

Regards,

Uma

From: Ajit Ratnaparkhi [ajit.ratnaparkhi@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:13 PM
To: hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org; hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: What does hdfs balancer do after adding more disks to existing datanode.

Hi,

If I add additional disks to existing datanode (assume existing datanode has 7 1TB disk which
are already 80% full and then I add two new 2TB disks 0% full) and then run balancer, does
balancer balance data in a datanode? ie. Will it move data from existing disks to newly added
disks such that all disks are approx equally full ?

thanks,
Ajit.