hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From cheng xu <xcheng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: about how the hdfs choose datanodes to store the files
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 01:56:47 GMT
Hi Harsh:

 I really appreciate that! you help me a lot!!  ^_^
 got it.

another question confuses me. assume that a file is divided into several
blocks, say a,b,c,d...... and when the file is being writing into the hdfs,
are the blocks a,b,c,d..... being written sequencely or
concurrently?itseems sequencelyfor me

btw:
 this is what I got from the code
we can get a DFSOutputStream and then write data into this stream. while
data is divided into packets->chunks, the DataStreamer process the data in
packet unit.
the DataStreamer maintain a stage of the block

if (stage == BlockConstructionStage.PIPELINE_SETUP_CREATE) {

            ...//apply new block from namenode

          } else if (stage == BlockConstructionStage.PIPELINE_SETUP_APPEND)
{

            ...//append data to the last un-full block

          }
}
am I right?

so I seems sequencely for me??  I 'm wondering that why not process the data
in the client, in where divide the data into blocks, and write the blocks to
different datanode concurrently???too many connections??

thanks for your help again!