hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Milind Bhandarkar <mbhandar...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: That append patch in 0.20
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:01:41 GMT
Mmm...

Like this ?

<property>
  <name>dfs.support.append</name>
  <value>false</value>
  <description>Does HDFS allow appends to files?
               This is currently set to false because there are bugs in the
               "append code" and is not supported in any prodction cluster.
  </description>
</property>

It's there already.

- milind

On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> Hey guys.
>
> I was speaking to some people a couple of nights ago, and we came up with an idea about
it (which I'm sure has been mentioned before so apologies beforehand).

> could we make append a configuration option. either at build or at run time.
>
> that way we could let alot of the hbase users run off the same codebase and not have
them patch it themselves.

> sure.. we will still have the same testing issues, and debates on if it is stable or
properly tested.. we can put big warning messages in the documentation on when people should
be using it.. but at least they could get a regular build
> and run it.
>
> so.. the question to the experts.. can the append patch be made into a configuration
option such that if people don't have it enabled it won't affect them.

> Thanks for listening
>
> --ian

---
Milind Bhandarkar