hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From John Hui <john.m....@gmail.com>
Subject namenode crash - recovery model?
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:33:34 GMT
Hi All,

I am new to Hadoop.  I have been reading and playing around with Hadoop, it
seems like the namenode is a single point of failure.  I read about the
backup node which is basically a copy of the live namenode.

So if the namenode were to crash, what is some of the recovery model that
people have in place.  Is there a way to configure hadoop to flip the the
backup node and use that as the primary name node if the primary namenode
goes down..

Thanks in advance,

John