hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Srinivas <sures...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New branch for HDFS-1052 development
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 23:02:37 GMT
Thanks Doug for the clarification. Thanks to others who votes :-). I have created the branch
HDFS-1052 off of trunk.

On 8/20/10 2:50 PM, "Doug Cutting" <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

On 08/19/2010 05:32 PM, Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze wrote:
> Do we need a vote for creating a development branch?

I don't think a vote is required.  I agree that any committer should be
able to create a branch.

Note however, that, if a committer were to wish to create a branch that
alters, e.g., the RAID fs stuff or a Common API that's used by both HDFS
and MapReduce, then they'd have to be a committer in both HDFS and
MapReduce.  So not all committers are able to create feature branches
equally, just as not all committers are able to create release branches.
  For the record, I find this distinction counter-productive.

Doug