hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From "Vidur Goyal" <vi...@students.iiit.ac.in>
Subject Overwriting the same block instead of creating a new one
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 04:41:51 GMT
Hi All,

In FSNamesystem#startFileInternal , whenever there is a overwrite flag set
, why is the INode removed from the namespace and a new
INodeFileUnderConstruction is created. Why can't we use the convert the
same INode to INodeFileUnderConstruction. And we start writing to the same
blocks at the same datanodes (after incrementing the GS) followed by
either truncating the remaining blocks(if the file size decreases) or
allocating new blocks (if the file size increases). This will decrease
data redundancy and the job of garbage collector and will increase
security.

vidur

believed to be clean.