hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From "Allen, Jonathan" <jonathan.all...@hp.com>
Subject Name Node Corruption When Shutdown Too Soon
Date Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:45:10 GMT
I've come across a name node bug and just wanted to check if it's a known issue before I formally
raise it (I've had a quick look through the database but couldn't see anything obvious).

If the name node is shut down before it has completed reading through the edit log then the
edit log gets removed without the image file being updated.  This results in name node reverting
to its previously saved state (out of sync with the data nodes) and the most recent edits
getting lost.

Does anybody recognise this as a known issue or should I raise it?

Thanks,
Jonathan Allen
UKGP, NS&R, Defence and Security
HP Enterprise Services
Telephone +44 1682 292101
Email jonathan.allen.uk@hp.com
Street address, Unit 29, Alexandra Way, Ashchurch Business Park, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.
GL20 8NB

Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England
The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received this message in error, you should delete it from your system
immediately and advise the sender.
To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should consider this
message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".