hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Shvachko <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Name Node Corruption When Shutdown Too Soon
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:23:00 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for raising the issue.
We will need more information about your configuration files.

It sounds like a problem noted by Todd in HDFS-909.
If edits directory precedes image in configuration, then edits
will be emptied prior to saving the image.

Any way it worth filing a jira on that, and attach logs, config file,
whatever you may find helpful for reproducing the problem.

Thanks,
--Konstantin Shvachko

On 2/7/2010 8:45 AM, Allen, Jonathan wrote:
 > I've come across a name node bug and just wanted to check if it's a known issue before
I formally raise it (I've had a quick look through the database but couldn't see anything
obvious).

 > If the name node is shut down before it has completed reading through the edit log then
the edit log gets removed without the image file being updated.  This results in name node
reverting to its previously saved state (out of sync with the data nodes)
and the most recent edits getting lost.

 > Does anybody recognise this as a known issue or should I raise it?
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Jonathan Allen
 > UKGP, NS&R, Defence and Security
 > HP Enterprise Services
 > Telephone +44 1682 292101
 > Email jonathan.allen.uk@hp.com
 > Street address, Unit 29, Alexandra Way, Ashchurch Business Park, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.
GL20 8NB

 > Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
 > Registered No: 690597 England
 > The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received this message in error, you should delete it from your system
immediately and advise the sender.
 > To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should consider
this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".