hadoop-hdfs-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Name Node Corruption When Shutdown Too Soon
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 01:10:42 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

Another question: how have you configured dfs.name.dir? Do you have
several directories configured?

Thanks
-Todd

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hey Jonathan,
>
> As Konstantin mentioned, I've been looking into a couple issues that
> could be related. At first glance it doesn't sound like you've run
> into quite the same thing.
>
> What version did you see this on? The steps to reproduce are something like:
>
> 1) Start a NN
> 2) Perform a bunch of edits so there is a large edit log
> 3) kill -9 the NN
> 4) start the NN again
> 5) while it is in the middle of replaying edits, kill -9 it again
> 6) start the NN, and lose all the previous edits?
>
> Or did I misunderstand what happened? If that sounds right, I'll give
> it a go and see if I can reproduce.
>
> Thanks
> -Todd
>
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Allen, Jonathan <jonathan.allen2@hp.com> wrote:
>> I've come across a name node bug and just wanted to check if it's a known issue before
I formally raise it (I've had a quick look through the database but couldn't see anything
obvious).

>> If the name node is shut down before it has completed reading through the edit log
then the edit log gets removed without the image file being updated.  This results in name
node reverting to its previously saved state (out of sync with the data nodes) and the most
recent edits getting lost.

>> Does anybody recognise this as a known issue or should I raise it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jonathan Allen
>> UKGP, NS&R, Defence and Security
>> HP Enterprise Services
>> Telephone +44 1682 292101
>> Email jonathan.allen.uk@hp.com
>> Street address, Unit 29, Alexandra Way, Ashchurch Business Park, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.
GL20 8NB

>> Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
>> Registered No: 690597 England
>> The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you should delete it from
your system immediately and advise the sender.
>> To any recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should consider
this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".