hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Chris Embree <cemb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code guidelines and bash
Date Sun, 27 Jul 2014 02:29:06 GMT
Allen, et. al.,

I'm not sure how up to date that checklist is, but imposing such a small
size on cmd arguments seems incredibly short sighted.  I'm pretty sure that
it is not a generally accepted limit.  I've seen MANY Hadoop processes
require lengthy CLASS_PATHS that were easily over 240 chars.

BTW, the BASH limit is something around 24k, well beyond 120 chars.

IMHO, if you want to avoid Bill Gates syndrome, (no one will ever need more
than 256k RAM) you might want to set an upper limit around 64K.   And then
I'd use a configuration file so I could be stupid and request a max of
256M, because I'm doing something way abnormal.

$0.02.  YMMV. ;)