hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] change bylaws to add "branch committers"
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:10:40 GMT
In some projects at the ASF, a PMC member can grant commit rights on a
feature branch to a contributor with minimal overhead. When developing
significant or pervasive features, collaboration across linked JIRAs
can be difficult for the contributors to maintain and for reviewers to
track. Since we already support this model of branched development for
Hadoop committers, extending it to newer members of the community
seems pretty natural.

Given that many of the major feature branches in 2.1 included at least
one significant contributor without a write bit, this pattern is also
common enough to adjust our bylaws.

In one possible protocol, a PMC member can propose a set of
contributors for a particular feature branch. If there is no NACK,
then those people are given a commit bit on the branch. Other
responsibilities for committers- such as reviewing patches, vetoing
changes in trunk, etc.- do not apply. The protocol on the branch
should not require explicit rules, but contributors should keep in
mind that our bylaws also require 3 +1s to merge the branch back;
creating a feature branch is not a promise to merge. One would also
expect proposed branch committers to have already written some code as
the base of the new branch.

Thoughts? Modifications to the protocol? -C