hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 00:25:52 GMT

Confused and thought this was dead as the discussion was happening in parallel. I wish this
vote was retracted while the discussion reaches some conclusion.

My concerns:
- As you noted in the by-laws, this plan should also nominate the RM. Or if Arun is doing
this, he should accept this? And may be call the vote for release plan himself? The bylaws
aren't clear about this, but that only seems natural - you manage a release and so you call
for a vote on the plan, no?
- It's not clear what happens of features that are half-way through. That needs to be spelled
out.
- Even otherwise, we can always add features without destabilizing the current release at
all if we can switch the feature off with one flag. Arguable on a case-by-case basis but possible.

- Also,  it isn't always clear what a feature is and what isn't. For e.g, the ResourceManager
restart work in YARN can be called a feature or a bug depending on the context.

In all the above cases, we should discuss on whether a feature can be merged in or not on
a case-by-case basis instead of a blanket no.

-1 (binding)

Thanks,
+Vinod
Side note: The bylaws repeatedly talk of "active committers" and "active PMC members", it
makes sense, but we should clarify that.