hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 00:18:46 GMT
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Konstantin Shvachko
<shv.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please vote on the following plan for Hadoop release 2.0.5
> - bug fixes encountered in current release 2.0.4-alpha
> - make all API changes to allow freezing them post 2.0.5
> - no new features

Hey Konstantin,

It might make sense to have a separate discussion thread on this point
where you outline how you propose to make all API changes in 2.0.x
ahead of 2.1.0.  It seems like the only way you could do this w/o
having 2.0 and 2.1 diverge is to merge the relevant API changes from
branch-2 (ie that will be in 2.1) to the branch you create. However,
that means the API stabilization in your branch is gated by the 2.1.0
release anyway, and it's often hard to merge API changes w/o also
taking the feature they were introduced in.

It sounds like Yahoo! and others would benefit from a 2.0.x release
series where the existing 2.0.4 scope is stabilized, ie your 1st and
3rd bullets above, but I don't think the 2nd bullet makes sense
because the RM for the 2.0.x series doesn't get to make the call that
the 2.1.x APIs are frozen.  Also, as a community we're going to have
to make sure there's a good upgrade story around APIs from 0.23.x and
2.0.x to 2.1.x anyway.

Thanks,
Eli