hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 20:33:58 GMT
On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On May 9, 2013, at 10:03 PM, Uma Maheswara Rao G wrote:
>
> >  Adding new features really a great thing and surely each big feature
> can be included in one one major release as well.
>

> Surely the one thing we have learnt over the last 4-5 years in this
> project is that we cannot make too many major releases. Notice how long
> hadoop-0.20/hadoop-1 lives; the same will happen with hadoop-2.x. Look at
> Bobby's message on this thread on *-dev lists:

> from 1.0 to 2.0. I have a hard time believing that we are going to do this
> again for another 5 years.
>
> Each major release is a *lot* of work and is, subsequently, an opportunity
> where incompatibilities at various levels creep in - our users are not well
> served by this.
>
> So, it's a  fallacy that we can and should make major releases per feature.

To me, the above argument is built on its own fallacies:

+ IMO, hadoop1 is long-lived because there is not yet an hadoop2.
+ My observation is that we as a community have difficulty putting out
major releases.  I do not see that we should NOT be making more frequent
major releases   Smaller scoped major releases should be less work with
less compatibilities, etc.

Good on you Arun,
St.Ack