hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Date Mon, 13 May 2013 21:46:13 GMT
Bobby-

As much as I enjoy the Evel Knievel image, your argument is not
finding traction for lack of a visceral metaphor. It's the lack of
detail. We're not jumping buses, we're adding features to code, where
it's possible to be specific. If you're uncomfortable with the design,
implementation, or test plan of a feature, then share your
reservations. Either someone can reassure you that your issue is
covered by existing tests, they can add new tests, or- given enough
evidence- we can agree that the feature needs more time to bake before
being added to the beta. If you need extra time to do this, please
insist. Given all that's been written, I literally can't believe that
nobody has time to do this, and it would be a lot more productive.

I share your concerns about trunk, abstractly. Currently, there's
almost nothing there that isn't in branch-2 (which makes metaphors
like "junkyard" and "dumping ground" sound a little hysterical,
frankly). Once 2.x reaches beta, we should probably explore rolling
new alpha releases to ensure it doesn't rot.

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Konstantin Shvachko
<shv.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:
> You keep twisting around the purpose of the vote and my position in it.
> As I said before: http://s.apache.org/WBf
> I am not against the features. And I am not blocking them.
> I propose to release them in a different than yours order, addressing
> features vs. stability tradeoff.

It's possible we're confused. Your proposal sounds like Arun should RM
a release with a particular profile. I apologize if I assumed more
than you intended.

> I don't know how to stop votes even if I wanted to.
> As Apache members you should have more vote-stopping power than me if you
> think it is against ASF norms.

The content of releases isn't a power struggle. You have all the tools
and authority you need to create a release. Nobody has authority to
block you, and frankly, nobody is trying. However, your technical
input on the particular features would be most welcome. -C