hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Date Sun, 05 May 2013 01:38:59 GMT
On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Tsz Wo Sze <szetszwo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The proposal sounds like an ideal solution but it is impractical.
> I think it is hard to make all API changes now and freezing them.
> Either it will just take a long time to finish the API changes, or
> we may miss some important API changes.

In fact this was entire point of my comment wrt. high degree of
focus towards downstream components of anything that could
be potentially called a Hadoop beta release.

The reality of the situation that we can't simply wish away is
that Hadoop is not Java -- it doesn't have a formal testsuite
along the lines of the TCK that can guarantee API stability.

We don't have that. Hence we might as well use the next
best thing -- tons of code implemented downstream that
actually exercise Hadoop APIs.

Perhaps a shift of perspective is needed on the part of
Hadoop community -- we should stop looking at downstream
as just downstream and start looking at it as a de-facto
TCK. If we assume that vantage point then things like
making sure that there are regular Unit tests runs clearly
become something that useful to Hadoop directly, not
a 'downstream problem'.

Thanks,
Roman.