hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 04:13:16 GMT
Making 2.0.x stable is really important for adoption of it as the new
production quality Hadoop.

I think Hadoop should adopt the merge window concept. After a release, a
new branch is opened for development. There is a window of time when
changes can go in, then the window is closed, then the branch is
stabilized, then the next major release is made off of the stabilized
branch. Repeat. What constitutes a major release numbering transition could
be from e.g. 2.x to 3.x, or from e.g. 2.0.x to 2.1.x. Either would work. If
feature development misses a window, it waits for the next. That is
completely fair and predictable. If the periodicity of open merge windows
is also predictable that is even better. If Hadoop can consider the merge
window now closed for 2.0.x, that would be great, it has been open for a
very long time.

+1 (nonbinding) after all of that, apologies for the verbiage but the
stability of the Hadoop ecosystem's foundation is a very important topic.
If I had a binding vote I would have voted +0 so as not to be presumptuous,
since my vote is nonbinding please consider it user feedback. Every single
project downstream is affected. We don't have a binding stake in the voting
but please consider us in your deliberations.

IMHO, a 2.1.0 branch and short merge window for getting HDFS snapshots out
there should quickly follow, and then the necessary 3-6 months of scale
testing. By all accounts talking with users it is the remaining compelling
feature missing from Hadoop 2.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy