hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 17:57:30 GMT
Folks,

A considerable number of people have expressed confusion regarding the recent vote on 2.0.5,
beta status etc. given lack of specifics, the voting itself (validity of the vote itself,
whose votes are binding) etc.

IMHO technical arguments (incompatibility b/w 2.0 & 2.1, current stability of 3 features
under debate etc.) have been lost in the discussion in favor of non-technical (almost dramatic)
nuances such as "seizing the moment". There is now dangerous talk of tolerating incompatibility
b/w 2.0 and 2.1) - this is a red flag for me; particularly when there are just 3 features
being debated and active committers and contributors are confident of and ready to stand by
their work. All patches, I believe, are ready to be merged in the the next few days per discussions
on jira. This will, clearly, not delay the other API work which everyone agrees is crucial.
As a result, I feel no recourse but to restart a new vote - all attempts at calm, reasoned,
civil discussion based on technical arguments have come to naught - I apologize for the thrash
caused to everyone's attention.

To get past all of this confusion, I'd like to present an alternate, specific proposal for
consideration.

I propose we continue the original plan and make a 2.0.5-beta release by May end with the
following content:
# HDFS-347
# HDFS Snapshots
# Windows support
# Necessary & final API/protocol changes such as:
 * Final YARN API changes: YARN-386
 * MR Binary Compatibility: MAPREDUCE-5108
 * Final RPC cleanup: HADOOP-8990

People working on the above features have all expressed considerable comfort with them and
are ready to stand-by to help expedite any necessary bug-fixes etc. to get to stabilization
quickly. I'm confident we can get this release out by end of May. This sets stage for a hadoop-2.x
GA release right after with some more testing - this means I think I can quickly turn around
and make bug-fix releases as necessary right after 2.0.5-beta.

I request that people consider helping out with this plan and sign up to help push hadoop-2.x
to stability as outlined above. I believe this will help achieve our shared goals of quickly
stabilizing hadoop-2 and help ensure we can support it for forseeable future in a compatible
manner for the benefit of our users and downstream projects.

Please vote, the vote will run the normal 7 days. Obviously, I'm +1.

thanks,
Arun

PS: To keep this discussion grounded in technical details I've moved this to dev@ (bcc general@).