hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tsz Wo Sze <szets...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Date Sat, 04 May 2013 22:33:35 GMT
The proposal sounds like an ideal solution but it is impractical.  I think it is hard to make
all API changes now and freezing them.  Either it will just take a long time to finish the
API changes, or we may miss some important API changes.

Tsz-Wo

________________________________
 From: Konstantin Shvachko <shv.hadoop@gmail.com>
To: "general@hadoop.apache.org" <general@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:53 PM
Subject: [VOTE] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

Please vote on the following plan for Hadoop release 2.0.5
- bug fixes encountered in current release 2.0.4-alpha
- make all API changes to allow freezing them post 2.0.5
- no new features

As discussed on @dev thread
http://s.apache.org/fs
this will allow to stabilize 2.0 branch in a short and predictable period
of time.
This enables a powerful option to have the release tested at Yahoo scale.
The plan is to follow up with 2.1.0 - the stable release.
New features can and should be added on top of the stable release once it
is out.

Hadoop by-laws:
http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html

"Release Plan
Defines the timetable and actions for a release. The plan also nominates a
Release Manager.
Lazy majority of active committers"

assume nomination of a Release Manager with the plan.
It would be really good if Arun continues if this plan is adopted.
We can return to the RM topic if not.

The vote will run for 7 days until next Wed, May 8th.

Thanks,
--Konstantin