hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject where do side-projects go in trunk now that contrib/ is gone?
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:20:54 GMT
I posted this to common-dev and got no answer, so I'm moving it to
-general, it being a general problem: where to put stuff that is part of
Hadoop yet which isn't something you can just add to the src/ tree of one
of the existing JAR files?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Loughran
Date: 5 February 2013 19:32
Subject: now that contrib has gone, where do we put code that isn't going
into hadoop-common.jar?
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org

 I've got two homeless projects looking to get in to Hadoop

   1. the branch-1 HA canary monitor, which can also monitor arbitrary
   services with an HTTP port, including declared dependencies on HDFS being
   live (no timeouts reporting to vsphere or Linux HA while HDFS is offline or
   in safe mode)
   2. the swiftfs filesystem driver
   https://github.com/hortonworks/Hadoop-and-Swift-integration
   docs:
   https://github.com/hortonworks/Hadoop-and-Swift-integration/blob/master/swift-file-system/src/site/md/swift-filesystem.md

#1 I can just stick in contrib/ in branch 1, but #2 is homeless. It's a big
patch, but is coupled to the FS contract tests (which I've been extending
in HADOOP-9258 to be more rigorous)

Where can things like this go, now that there is no contrib/?
 hadoop-tools?