hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] hadoop-2.0.3-alpha released!
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2013 13:13:07 GMT
All,

 I'm very pleased to announce that the Apache Hadoop community has released hadoop-2.0.3-alpha!

 This delivers significant major enhancements and stability over previous releases in hadoop-2.x
series:
 # QJM for HDFS HA for NameNode
 # Multi-resource scheduling (CPU and memory) for YARN
 # YARN ResourceManager Restart
 # Significant stability at scale for YARN (over 30,000 nodes and 14 million applications
so far, at time of release - see here)

 This release, like previous releases in hadoop-2.x series, is still considered *alpha* primarily
since some of APIs aren't fully-baked, has had some churn and we expect some more in future
hadoop-2.x releases. Furthermore, please note that there are some API changes from previous
hadoop-2.0.2-alpha release and applications will need to recompile against hadoop-2.0.3-alpha.
Please see the Hadoop 2.0.3-alpha Release Notes for details.

 Furthermore, we are converging fast on ironing out API issues (both HDFS & YARN) and,
currently, plan to cut a hadoop-2.0.4-beta release in the next couple of months after this
effort. We believe that hadoop-2.0.4-beta will be a major step to then release a fully stable,
supported hadoop-2 release, exciting times! Stay tuned!

thanks,
Arun
(your humble, sometimes prone to grumble, release manager... *smile*)