hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Adam Berry <ambe...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [PROPOSAL] Hadoop Development Tools
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 17:19:21 GMT
Just to keep everyone up to date over here as well, the vote has started over on the general@incubator.apache.org
list.

Cheers,
Adam

On Oct 17, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Adam Berry wrote:

> Hi Evert,
>
> that sounds interesting and certainly useful. If you could contribute that would be great.
I'll check back in with you in a couple of days.

> Cheers,
> Adam
>
> On Oct 17, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Evert Lammerts wrote:
>
>> Hi Adam, thanks for the initiative, this is good news for us and our users as well
- right now I'm advising ant targets for submitting MR jobs from Eclipse. I'll have a look
to see whether / how we can contribute.

support on the general hadoop list, see the thread at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201209.mbox/browser.

>> We are looking for feedback, and to see who else would be interested in contributing
to this effort as a committer, as well as an additional mentor.

>> Cheers,
>> Adam Berry
>>

>> Hadoop Development Tools Proposal
>>
>> I’d like to propose the Hadoop Development Tools, a set of extensions to the Eclipse
IDE to support developing against Apache Hadoop technologies.

>> = HDT (Hadoop Development Tools) =
>>
>> == Abstract ==
>> Tools to support developing applications that use Apache Hadoop from within Eclipse.
>>
>> == Proposal ==
>> Hadoop Development Tools are a set of extensions to Eclipse providing support for
creating, launching and debugging distributed applications, as well as interacting with HDFS
filesystems. This work will build on the existing Map Reduce Tools present in the Apache Hadoop
project.

>> == Background ==
>> Map Reduce Tools have existed as part of contrib for Apache Hadoop. Unfortunately
they are source tied to a single version of Hadoop, and development has stalled, with little
movement past the Hadoop 0.20 line.

>> == Rationale ==
>> Support for newer versions of Hadoop from within Eclipse is regularly raised on the
Hadoop mailing lists, so there is a clear need to drive these tools forward. Development tools
generally are worked on separate from the target tools/platform, separating the tools out
will allow for supporting multiple versions, so a developer could work with a heterogeneous
environment.

>> == Initial Goals ==
>> * Give the tools project a home of its own.
>> * Port current MapReduce tools feature set to all current release lines of Hadoop
in a single Eclipse install.
>> * Documentation and tutorials for all features.
>> * Publish Eclipse update site, and join Eclipse marketplace listing.
>> * Establish release cycle that combines support for Hadoop and Eclipse release cycles.
>> * Look to build support for YARN, MRUnit and possibly other Hadoop-related projects.
>>
>> == Current Status ==
>> The source for the current MapReduceTools lives in the contrib section of the Hadoop
source. In its current implementation it is tied to the version of Hadoop against which it
is compiled. The layout and API that it was developed with means that it can only be used
with the 0.20 or 1.0 Hadoop releases, the new layout and YARN api introduced with the 0.23
and 2.0 lines are not supported.

>> === Meritocracy ===
>> Several people and companies have already expressed an interest in contributing to
this project, and we hope to attract additional interest during the proposal discussion. We
plan to invest and support a meritocracy that attracts, invites, and supports newcomers to
build a vibrant and  diverse community.

>> === Community ===
>> The target community is developers who are working developing Map/Reduce applications
against Hadoop. Given the success of Hadoop the target group is likely to be quite large.
Separation from the Hadoop community would make it easier to support multiple versions of
hadoop, as well as merging the release cycles of Hadoop and Eclipse to provide predictable
iteration and improvement in the toolset.

>> === Core Developers ===
>> The initial list of developers includes people experienced with developing against
the Eclipse platform.
>> * Adam Berry (amberry at yahoo-inc dot com)
>> * Jeffrey Zemerick (jeffrrey at mtnfog dot com)
>>
>> === Alignment ===
>> Hadoop Development Tools aligns with both Hadoop and Eclipse. Hadoop as the platform
for the development target, and Eclipse as the IDE platform used as the base for the tools.

>> == Known Risks ==
>>
>> === Orphaned Products ===
>>
>> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>> Adam Berry has experience of the Eclipse open source community, and has been building
familiarity with the Apache processes through patches to the existing source.

>> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>> Hadoop Development Tools will be developed with a mix of salaried and volunteer time.
>>
>> === Relationships with Other Apache Projects ===
>> Hadoop Development Tools is closely related to Apache Hadoop.
>>
>> === An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>> Given the success of Hadoop and associated projects, Apache is the natural place
for the Hadoop Development Tools. Chris Mattman suggested the Apache Incubator as appropriate
on the Hadoop general mailing list following the success that MRUnit had taking the path from
Hadoop contrib to an Apache top level project.

>> == Documentation ==
>> Documentation for the current tools can be found at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/EclipsePlugIn
>>
>> == Initial Source ==
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-mapreduce-project/src/contrib/eclipse-plugin/
>>
>> ==  Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==
>> The source, and any suggested initial patches, are already hosted either in Apache’s
Subversion or JIRA.