hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 0.23.4 release
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2012 21:28:41 GMT
Hey Bobby,

 Thanks for getting this RC out.

 You might want to pull in YARN-137 and YARN-138 into this too.

thanks,
Arun

On Sep 29, 2012, at 8:35 AM, Robert Evans wrote:

> I have built a 0.23.4-rc0 and am calling a release vote on it. As per the bylaws this
vote will be open for 1 week, and will close next Saturday October 6th.

tag in subversion, and at http://people.apache.org/~bobby/hadoop-0.23.4-candidate-0/

> This release is a sustaining release with several important bug fixes in it.  Most notably
upgrading of a 1.0 cluster with append/sync enabled should now work (HDFS-3731).  There are
no known blockers against this release, there are only two critical issues.

> HADOOP-8811
> Compile hadoop native library in FreeBSD
>
> HDFS-3990
> NN's health report has severe performance problems
>
> HDFS-3990 only really has a significant impact on large clusters, and can be mitigated
by enabling DNS caching.

> I have run several manual tests on this release on a small insecure cluster and all of
them pass I am a +1 (binding) for this release.

> On a side note I am happy to announce that the 0.23 line is being rolled out more widely
at Yahoo!.  We just installed 0.23.3 on a 2000 node cluster and have only seen a few issues
(HDFS-3990 is the biggest of them).   I expect to do a 0.23.5 release in the coming weeks/months
as we find more issues running on large clusters.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.