hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Spinning out Hadoop Eclipse Tools
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:42:27 GMT
Hey Adam,

That would be awesome.   +1

We've discussed moving the various contrib projects out of Hadoop in
the past, and think it make sense for all the reasons you mention.  A
good example of how we've done this  was done previously is MRUnit,
now hosted at http://mrunit.apache.org.

Next steps, if others agree then you can draft a proposal to vote on.
See this thread and jira for an example:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201102.mbox/%3C77405974-6771-4604-926B-976240743F3C@mac.com%3E

Thanks,
Eli

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Adam Berry <amberry@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm proposing spinning out the eclipse plugin from the main hadoop source into a separate
incubating project. I'm willing to commit to this effort.

> With a separate project, that isn't tied (source wise) to the Hadoop source we could
make dev tools that could support multiple versions of Hadoop from within a single IDE, which
would be very helpful when migrating jobs or dealing with clusters running different versions.

> The current tools seem to support the 0.20 line, and help with developing MR jobs, and
also have some HDFS tools included. So the early work would be to ensure that these features
were supported across the version space of Hadoop.

> Down the line we could also add support for additional tools such as MRUnit and other
products in the Hadoop ecosystem, to eventually yield a one stop project for all dev tools
around this space.