hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Large feature development
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:00:48 GMT
On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Todd,
>
> On Sep 1, 2012, at 1:20 AM, Todd Lipcon wrote:
>
>> I'd actually contend that YARN was merged too early. I have yet to see
>> anyone running YARN in production, and it's holding up the "Stable"
>> moniker for Hadoop 2.0 -- HDFS-wise we are already quite stable and
>> I'm seeing fewer issues in our customers running Hadoop HDFS 2
>> compared to Hadoop 1-derived code.
>
> You know I respect you a ton, but I'm very saddened to see you perpetuate this FUD on
our public lists. I expected better, particularly when everyone is working towards the same
goals of advancing Hadoop-2. This sniping on other members doing work is, um, I'll just stop
here rather than regret later.

Todd is just saying that:

1. HDFS v2 has fewer critical bugs than v1  (mostly thanks to the edit
log rewrite, which aside from HA was motivated by all the quality
issues the v1 code has had)

2. HDFS is more mature than YARN. Not a surprise given that we all
agree YARN is alpha, and a much newer project than HDFS that hasn't
yet been deployed in production environments yet (to my knowledge).

I don't read this as a snipe against anyone coding on Hadoop, it's
just that the two sub-projects are at different stages in their life
and development.

Thanks,
Eli