hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Spinning out Hadoop Eclipse Tools
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 02:35:00 GMT
+1, could be much more maintainable this way. Also, we may name the
project non-IDE specific, if we may be adding support for other IDEs
as well (over time).

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Adam Berry <amberry@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm proposing spinning out the eclipse plugin from the main hadoop source into a separate
incubating project. I'm willing to commit to this effort.
> With a separate project, that isn't tied (source wise) to the Hadoop source we could
make dev tools that could support multiple versions of Hadoop from within a single IDE, which
would be very helpful when migrating jobs or dealing with clusters running different versions.
> The current tools seem to support the 0.20 line, and help with developing MR jobs, and
also have some HDFS tools included. So the early work would be to ensure that these features
were supported across the version space of Hadoop.
> Down the line we could also add support for additional tools such as MRUnit and other
products in the Hadoop ecosystem, to eventually yield a one stop project for all dev tools
around this space.
> If there is agreement on this, how do we go about getting it done?
> Thanks,
> Adam Berry

Harsh J

View raw message