hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Spinning out Hadoop Eclipse Tools
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:36:52 GMT
I think this is a great idea! +1!

It would be great to find a home and community willing to take this forward... I'm assuming
others would like to see the same.

We could start  a vote to formalize this if necessary.

thanks,
Arun

On Sep 17, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Adam Berry wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm proposing spinning out the eclipse plugin from the main hadoop source into a separate
incubating project. I'm willing to commit to this effort.

> With a separate project, that isn't tied (source wise) to the Hadoop source we could
make dev tools that could support multiple versions of Hadoop from within a single IDE, which
would be very helpful when migrating jobs or dealing with clusters running different versions.

> The current tools seem to support the 0.20 line, and help with developing MR jobs, and
also have some HDFS tools included. So the early work would be to ensure that these features
were supported across the version space of Hadoop.

> Down the line we could also add support for additional tools such as MRUnit and other
products in the Hadoop ecosystem, to eventually yield a one stop project for all dev tools
around this space.