hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Adam Berry <ambe...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Spinning out Hadoop Eclipse Tools
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:34:09 GMT
Hello all,

I'm proposing spinning out the eclipse plugin from the main hadoop source into a separate
incubating project. I'm willing to commit to this effort.

With a separate project, that isn't tied (source wise) to the Hadoop source we could make
dev tools that could support multiple versions of Hadoop from within a single IDE, which would
be very helpful when migrating jobs or dealing with clusters running different versions.

The current tools seem to support the 0.20 line, and help with developing MR jobs, and also
have some HDFS tools included. So the early work would be to ensure that these features were
supported across the version space of Hadoop.

Down the line we could also add support for additional tools such as MRUnit and other products
in the Hadoop ecosystem, to eventually yield a one stop project for all dev tools around this
space.

If there is agreement on this, how do we go about getting it done?

Thanks,

Adam Berry