hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Spinning out Hadoop Eclipse Tools
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 06:03:12 GMT
+1 to spinning it out and +1 for just starting to work with incubator as chris outlines.

Once that is up and the code here can be removed as redundant. Folks might object to that,
but I highly doubt it given this thread.

On Sep 17, 2012, at 6:46 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov>
wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> +1 this seems like a great idea!
>
> Here's a guide to creating an Apache Incubator proposal:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html
>
> You'll need 3 ASF members to be your mentors, 1 of which whom
> is willing to be your Champion (the person that takes leadership
> of shepherding you guys through the Incubator).
>
> I'm happy to help out in this effort however I can. I had a great experience
> mentoring the MRUnit folks and they have done a great job!
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> On Sep 17, 2012, at 12:42 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
>> Hey Adam,
>>
>> That would be awesome.   +1
>>
>> We've discussed moving the various contrib projects out of Hadoop in
>> the past, and think it make sense for all the reasons you mention.  A
>> good example of how we've done this  was done previously is MRUnit,
>> now hosted at http://mrunit.apache.org.
>>
>> Next steps, if others agree then you can draft a proposal to vote on.
>> See this thread and jira for an example:
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201102.mbox/%3C77405974-6771-4604-926B-976240743F3C@mac.com%3E
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-2430
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Adam Berry <amberry@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I'm proposing spinning out the eclipse plugin from the main hadoop source into
a separate incubating project. I'm willing to commit to this effort.

>>> With a separate project, that isn't tied (source wise) to the Hadoop source we
could make dev tools that could support multiple versions of Hadoop from within a single IDE,
which would be very helpful when migrating jobs or dealing with clusters running different
versions.

>>> The current tools seem to support the 0.20 line, and help with developing MR
jobs, and also have some HDFS tools included. So the early work would be to ensure that these
features were supported across the version space of Hadoop.

>>> Down the line we could also add support for additional tools such as MRUnit and
other products in the Hadoop ecosystem, to eventually yield a one stop project for all dev
tools around this space.