hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Large feature development
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2012 22:11:14 GMT
Eli,

On Sep 2, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Eli Collins <eli@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> Todd,
>>
>> On Sep 1, 2012, at 1:20 AM, Todd Lipcon wrote:
>>
>>> I'd actually contend that YARN was merged too early. I have yet to see
>>> anyone running YARN in production, and it's holding up the "Stable"
>>> moniker for Hadoop 2.0 -- HDFS-wise we are already quite stable and
>>> I'm seeing fewer issues in our customers running Hadoop HDFS 2
>>> compared to Hadoop 1-derived code.
>>
>> You know I respect you a ton, but I'm very saddened to see you perpetuate this FUD
on our public lists. I expected better, particularly when everyone is working towards the
same goals of advancing Hadoop-2. This sniping on other members doing work is, um, I'll just
stop here rather than regret later.
> 2. HDFS is more mature than YARN. Not a surprise given that we all
> agree YARN is alpha, and a much newer project than HDFS that hasn't
> yet been deployed in production environments yet (to my knowledge).

Let's focus on the ground reality here.

Please read my (or Rajiv's) message again about YARN's current
stability and how much it's baked, it's deployment plans to a very
large cluster in a few *days*. Or, talk to the people developing,
testing and supporting these customers and clusters.

I'll repeat - YARN has clearly baked much more than HDFS HA given
the basic bugs (upgrade, edit logs corruption etc.) we've seen after
being declared *done*; but then we just disagree since clearly I'm
more conservative. Also, we need to be more conservative wrt HDFS -
but then what would I know...

I'll admit it's hard to discuss with someone (or a collective) who
just repeat themselves. Plus, I broke my own rule about email this
weekend - so, I'll try harder.

Arun