hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Maintain a single committer list for the Hadoop project
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 02:09:41 GMT
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>
> On Aug 28, 2012, at 4:57 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
>>> [...snip...]
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> I'd start a separate discussion thread or vote about moving some or
>> all of the sub-projects to TLPs. IMO we should resolve this issue
>> independently - there's no reason to block this decision on a possible
>> future direction for the project.
>
> I think it's a mischaracterization to suggest that Arun's proposal is a future
> direction for the project. The project is already there and has been there for
> a while, during this time trying to identify itself as one project when in reality
> it's been many. That's the cause of issues like this and all the email bandwidth.

We've talked about eventually moving the sub-projects to TLPs, so
perhaps it's more of a "future state" than a "future direction".
However it's also not that cut and dry, after all the sub-project
discussion and the "project split" we've actually started going the
other direction in some ways, specifically, we've
- Merged all the code bases to a single repository, shared more source code.
- Decided to continue to release all components together.
- Merged the user community to a single list.
- Started YARN in the Hadoop project rather than the incubator

Anyway, seems like mincing words, and a vote thread isn't a great
place to discuss specifics of one particular TLP proposal. If you
think the time is right for the TLP and you've got a particular
proposal sounds like you should start a DISCUSS thread for that
proposal.

Thanks,
Eli