hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Suresh Srinivas <sur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Establish YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:27:05 GMT
+1 for Arun's proposal. It seems reasonable to me.

Here are my thoughts on this thread:

Some have voiced opinion that they would not have supported YARN becoming a
sub-project if they knew committer list is going to change. YARN was voted
as a sub-project on the merit of it being a distinct functionality from
rest of existing Hadoop. Your vote for YARN becoming a sub-project should
have nothing to do with the commiter list.

A team of people have worked for a long time (more than 1.5 years) on YARN.
They understand the code and the design context well enough to be
committers. I am not sure how having a long inclusive list of committers
helps YARN. Do we expect the folks who have not contributed to YARN and
might not understand YARN code well enough to do a good job as committers?
That is the reason why I do not mind not being included in the list of
committers. Further Arun has been more inclusive by incorporating Tom's
feedback.

We, as the Hadoop PMC, decided to vote committers to sub-projects instead
of whole of Hadoop. To ensure someone who works heavily on one sub-project
from committing code the core parts of other sub-projects. Why do we want
to make an exception for YARN?

People interested in becoming committers can always contribute to YARN and
become committers anytime. It is not like the list is closed forever.

Regards,
Suresh