hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:18:29 GMT
Have we not learned our lessons from the last attempts to split?

The issues in our community, which I think Chris is referring to, do
not generally revolve around project boundaries. It's not the case
that the HDFS community wants to go one way and the MR/YARN community
wants to go another, and we get into a conflict around it. If it were,
then splitting into separate TLPs would make a ton of sense.

Instead, the issues are usually _within_ a component. So, if we split
into 3 TLPs, then we'll just have 3 TLPs, each of which is just as
contentious as before.

Let's just embrace contention as a fact of life on a high-profile
high-stakes project and get back to work.

I wasted nearly a month undoing the mess of the last attempt, and I
don't see why this time it would go any better. -1 from my perspective
on splitting again at this point. Perhaps if we get to the point that
we're never making cross-project commits it makes sense, but we're not
there still.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tucu@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I volunteer to help cleanup/normalize Maven stuff.
> Thx
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Tom White <tom@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Eric - I agree with Common being included in HDFS. That's what I meant
>> by Common not having a clear enough mission to be a TLP by itself.
>> Arun - I'm happy to RM some of the upcoming MR releases too. Also to
>> help out with the work on audience annotations and compatibility.
>> Cheers,
>> Tom
>>> Also, I'd say we make at least 3-4 alpha/beta releases in this shape.
>>> I volunteer to RM for MR/YARN releases and work with Suresh.
>>> Arun
> --
> Alejandro

Todd Lipcon