hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:09:52 GMT
Hi Bobby, and Andrew,

Sorry I think both of you are still missing my point (maybe I'm wrong).
And sorry that I've failed to explain it in such a way that you guys understand,
that's as much my issue as anyone else's.

My point is - technical issues, such as how to pull apart components
and modules are difficult, and my svn copy suggestion, and
moreover, my overall suggestion to figure out how to split the umbrella project
of Hadoop up had less to do with technically pulling apart any its software
product components than it did with actually suggesting a split in the members of the
project management committee of the Apache Hadoop project.

The svn copy I suggested was merely to provide said new committees with code to work from
(the same code base
they have now in fact). Put simply: I think you guys know a whole lot better
about how to deliver your software product to the community than I do.
So I'm not even trying to say that I know what the ins and outs of splitting MR,
YARN and HDFS entail, nor am I even trying to say "hey you HAVE to do
that part". That's the technical part.

I am saying that the current members of the Apache Software Foundation's Hadoop
Project Management Committee exhibit the characteristics (not just during
discrete events; it's been happening for a long time) of folks who in reality
shouldn't belong to the same project management committee. Note: this is
NOT a bad thing. There are probably plenty of (sub-)sets of groups at Apache
and elsewhere that folks wouldn't fit in to. I've enumerated some of
those characteristics that you can see sometimes spill over
(meta thought discussions about moving things around; or drawing arbitrary
lines around pieces of code that really have nothing to do with technical
stuff, and more to do about insulating and control;), but there are also other
concerns such as frameworks put in to place (exclusivity amongst others)
that themselves are pretty high indicators that this is an umbrella project.
There are social memes *around* code, that certainly
have an impact on the code, but are not the code themselves.

*That* is what I am talking about. If the code splits or whatever make sense
as part of the internal navel gazing I'm suggesting regarding the *committee*
of this project, then so be it. However, I have no direct say in any of that (
nor would I expect to without having the merit in the code to have a say).

Hope that helps explain where I was coming from better.

Cheers,
Chris

On Aug 31, 2012, at 7:34 AM, Robert Evans wrote:

> [...]
> the OSGI work that Tom White has been doing.
>
> Chris,
>
> I completely agree with Andrew here.  There are very *REAL* technical
> issues that need to be addressed before a *CLEAN* split can happen.  We
> can make a messy one, but the ramifications are far from trivial.  If we
> simply go in blindly it will at a minimum take months to stabilize and get
> back to where we are now.  You may be OK with that, but many of us are
> not.  Simply dismissing others' concurs as invalid is not good for the
> community.  Many of us, as indaviduals, have a huge vested interest in
> having a stable version of Hadoop with new features in it regularly
> released.  That is why we are part of this community.  It frankly baffles
> me that "community over code" can be used to dismiss concurs about an
> issue that many of us see as something that will hurt the community.  I am
> +1 for the split, and I am +1 for doing it soon, but I am -1 on doing it
> without at least having a plan as to how we will tease apart the different
> pieces of Hadoop.
>
> --Bobby
>
> On 8/31/12 2:55 AM, "Andrew Purtell" <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The end user community might disappear, and you are ok with this? I'm
>> simply astonished. Who are these people showing up to help, document, be
>> on
>> lists, whatever, if not current or prospective end users? Who the hell
>> shows up to write unit tests? Who is this "public" in public good? Looks
>> me like a small cabal of commercial concerns in this case.
>>
>> I guess the only thing we are going to agree on is that confidence in
>> Apache Hadoop project stewardship at the ASF isn't currently warranted.
>> And
>> here I thought things were going so well. Who knew this torpedo lurked
>> beneath the waters. I guess just members of the cabal. There's nothing
>> more
>> for me to say, just maybe a few hard decisions to make, depending how this
>> turns out.
>>
>> On Friday, August 31, 2012, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andrew,

>>> practical
>>> will
>>>
>>> Sure, the end-user community might disappear, but the point I'm trying
>>> make is
>>> that the community is more than that. It's developers that build code
>>> together
>>> ("community over code"); it's folks who write documentation who are part
>>> of the
>>> project's committee of folks working together to develop software for
>>> the
>>> public
>>> good at this Foundation. It's folks who write unit tests as part of
>>> that.
>>> It's also people
>>> that fly by on the lists and that need help; or that may throw up a
>>> or
>>> whatever. It's other members of the Apache Software Foundation that are
>>> charged with caring and giving a rip about the Foundation's projects.
>>>
>>> It's also downstream users of the software too -- they just aren't the
>>> only folks who
>>> are the community, that's all.

>>> position
>>>
>>> Sorry I wasn't trying to be dismissive. But at the same time I want to
>>> suggest that
>>> the community is broader than simply the technical folks who use the
>>> project.

>>> tinker
>>>
>>> Yeah the community I'm talking about is the larger whole that makes up
>>> the community of the project.

>>> RIGHT
>>>
>>> Well the project's health is something that ought to be fixed, and it
>>> ought
>>> to be done under a timeline. *right now* isn't probably going to be a
>>> reality.
>>> But I am doing my job as a member of the Foundation in helping to
>>> discuss,
>>> further root out, and educate the folks around here as to the way that
>>> projects
>>> work at the Foundation.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
>>> Senior Computer Scientist
>>> NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
>>> Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
>>> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov <javascript:;>
>>> WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
>>> Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department
>>> University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>>  - Andy

>> (via Tom White)