hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 23:19:12 GMT
Hi Eli,

On Aug 29, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Eli Collins wrote:

> Thanks for writing up a proposal Chris.

NP.

> I think it makes sense to have Common live in HDFS at least for now,
> since it's at the bottom of the stack / dependency chain and it's code
> is the most intertwined with common, and, per Arun, we tend to work on
> common stuff more than MR people. The HDFS project is really a lot
> more than HDFS, eg has all the hadoop commands, non-HDFS file system
> source, etc but that seems like an OK starting point. We need to
> figure out the committers and PMC though since the goal is to just
> have the HDFS community (vs the current Hadoop people) but the project
> will contain non-HDFS stuff. I'd like to hear from the current Hadoop
> committers and PMC members that mostly work on MR and YARN - are you
> guys OK losing your current privileges on the HDFS repo?

Rather than ask the former question that way, I would just simply put up
a list of proposed HDFS PMC folks (yes, I keep using PMC ^_^). Then,
iterate on that.

> Otherwise we
> haven't made much progress (ie HDFS still has multiple communities).

ACK.

> We also need to address the areas where it's not so cut and dry, eg
> where there is a single Hadoop project:
> - The Hadoop trademark, assume this lives in the HDFS project if Common does?

Apache owns the Hadoop trademark, and the PMC helps to enforce it. Projects
don't own trademarks.

> - The user community, eg the users lists that we *just* merged, shall
> we still keep one list?

That's a good question -- maybe ask users to opt-in. Yes, this is intrusive, but
I bet you'd find the real users of the specific projects if they have to resubscribe.
Just my 2c.

> - We should move the global stuff like "how to get started" docs to
> Bigtop, which can point to individual projects resources

Sounds cool to me.

> - Hadoop 1.x is is maintenance mode, though it still actively gets
> patches so we need to consider it. The surgery necessary to split v1
> Hadoop is probably not suitable for a sustaining release and not worth
> it at this point in the lifetime of this branch. I assume the HDFS
> project will then host the Hadoop 1.x branches?  This implies only
> members of the HDFS project can commit and release.

Why not put the 1.x stuff in Bigtop since it's global or whatever?

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist