hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 01:52:19 GMT

On Aug 29, 2012, at 4:48 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
>> I am curious where the arbitrar numbery 5 is coming from: is it reflected in
>> the bylaws?
>
> Nope, I picked it based on Arun's earlier picking of the same number
> in the YARN thread. We have no bylaws about what would happen in the
> eventual TLP-ification of subcomponents, of course.

I'm sure you just missed it - but, I want to set the record straight: I picked 20+ patch contributions
or 10+ review/commits since *project inception*.
Your pick seems to be just commits in last 12 months. I have put forth one, please put forth
another proposal if you like. However, please, do include patches, not just commits.

For e.g. I'd propose we add llu@ for HDFS since he's done a ton of work on metrics2 recently.
My bad for missing that initially - apologies Luke. I might have missed more, pls ping me
or add yourself. I've put my proposal up on http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HDFS_MR_YARN_TLP_Proposal.

We could also revisit issues like emeritus after the split to allow each project to figure
it's own norms - I'd urge for that option.

thanks,
Arun