hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 03:45:20 GMT
+1

Over the course of this discussion I've become convinced it is time to split up Hadoop.  Pig,
Hive, Zookeeper, HBase and other Hadoop graduates all seem to have been plagued by fewer meta-discussions
and bi-law fights., etc since they graduated from Hadoop.  Board members have been advising
us to do this for years.  With 1.0 stable and 2.0 on the way, now seems like a good time to
do it.

With mavenization done and the advent of BigTop and multiple 3rd party hadoop distro packagers,
there is little doubt that people concerned about consuming the work of the distinct projects
will be able to get them to work together.

On Aug 28, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> [...]
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> See the recent discussion on these threads:
>
> YARN as its own Hadoop "sub project": http://s.apache.org/WW1
> Maintain a single committer list for the Hadoop project: http://s.apache.org/Owx
>
> ...and just pay attention to the Hadoop project over the last 3-4 years. It's operating
> as a single project, that's masking separate communities that themselves are really
> separate ASF projects.
>
> At the ASF, this has been a problem area called "umbrella" projects and over the years,

> all I've seen from them is wasted bandwidth, artificial barriers and the inventions of

> new ways to perform process mongering and to reduce the fun in developing software
> at this fantastic foundation.
>
> I've talked about umbrella projects enough. We've diverted conversation enough.
> Enough people have tried to act like there is some technical mumbo jumbo that is
> preventing the eventual act of higher power that I myself hope comes should these
> discussions prove unfruitful through normal means.
>
> *these. are. separate. projects.*
> *there.are.not.blocker.issues.from.spinning.out.these.projects.as.their.own.communities*
>
> In this email: http://s.apache.org/rSm
>
> And in the 2 subsequent follow ons in that thread, I've outlined a process that I'll
copy
> through below for splitting these projects into their own TLPs:
>
> -----snip
> Process:
>
> 0. [DISCUSS] thread for <TLP name> in which you talk about #1 and #2 below, potentially
draft resolution too.

> 1. Decide on an initial set of *PMC* members. I urge each new TLP to adopt PMC==C. See
reasons I've
> already discussed.
>
> 2. Decide on a chair. Try not to VOTE for this explicitly, see if can be discussed and
consensus
> can be reached (just a thought experiment). VOTE if necessary.
>
> 3. [VOTE] thread for <TLP name>
>
> 4. Create Project:
>  a. paste resolution from #0 to board@ or;
>  b. go to general@incubator and start new Incubator project.
>
> 5. infrastructure set up.
>   MLs moving; new UNIX groups; website setup;
>   SVN setup like this:
>
> svn copy -m "MR TLP." https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/<insert
cool MR name>; or
> svn copy -m "YARN TLP." https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/<insert
cool YARN name>; or
> svn copy -m "HDFS TLP." https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/ https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/<insert
cool HDFS name>

> After all 3 have been created run:
>
> svn remove -m "Remove Hadoop umbrella TLP. Split into separate projects." https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop
>
> 6. (TLPs if 4a; Incubator podling if 4b;) proceed, collaborate, operate as distinct communities,
and try to solve the code duplication/dependency