hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Spin out MR, HDFS and YARN as their own TLPs and disband Hadoop umbrella project
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 06:31:43 GMT
Hey Eli,

On Aug 29, 2012, at 11:18 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Hey Eli,
>>> But which PMC does "the PMC" refer to though given that there is no
>>> longer a Hadoop PMC?
>> Probably the collective set of PMCs that are created, along with trademarks@,
>> and along with other members of the Foundation.
> But what are we enforcing as the "Hadoop" trademark if there is no
> longer a Hadoop product release?

Well Hadoop as a trademark, registered by the ASF, will remain. It doesn't go away,
whether there is an explicit Hadoop TLP or product that TLP releases or not. I'd imagine as
a PMC member once
on the Hadoop TLP before it went away, you could choose to enforce the Hadoop trademarks by
working with
trademarks@ in the same way that you currently do, or don't, or whatever.

And "enforce" is a loose word, since everyone's idea of "enforce" with respect to Apache
PMCs and trademarks and so forth somewhat differs.

My 2c.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246