hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Mahadev Konar <maha...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - YARN as a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 04:44:32 GMT
+1 ....

mahadev

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Edward J. Yoon <edwardyoon@apache.org> wrote:
>> Given this, I think it would be useful to make YARN a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
along with Common, HDFS & MapReduce. I believe this would help other communities realize
that they could consider using YARN as a general-purpose resource management layer and help
us enhance YARN beyond it's humble beginnings.

>> Clearly, YARN and MapReduce are different enough that they can and will attract a
diverse community.

> +1
>
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> It's been nearly a year since we merged Hadoop YARN into trunk and we have made several
releases since.

>> It's exciting to see various open-source communities (both in the ASF and externally)
start to explore integration with YARN such as Apache Hama, Apache Giraph, Apache S4, Spark
etc. This promises to help us realize our hopes of making Apache Hadoop a much more general
data processing platform (& storage, of course) and not tied to MapReduce alone for processing
data. Furthermore, we already have people contributing interesting prototypes such as DistributedShell
and PaaS on YARN.

>> Given this, I think it would be useful to make YARN a sub-project of Apache Hadoop
along with Common, HDFS & MapReduce. I believe this would help other communities realize
that they could consider using YARN as a general-purpose resource management layer and help
us enhance YARN beyond it's humble beginnings.

>> Clearly, YARN and MapReduce are different enough that they can and will attract a
diverse community.

>> I'd like to clarify that this proposal *does not* mean we move the code base out
of hadoop/common/ tree. It just alleviates hadoop-yarn alongside hadoop-common, hadoop-hdfs
& hadoop-mapreduce in hadoop/trunk. Also, there would be *no changes* to release cycles
- YARN would be co-released with Common, HDFS & MapReduce.

>> Thoughts?
>>
>> ----
>>
>> What does it mean to the Hadoop developer community?
>>
>> # Project dependencies
>>
>> The change is that Hadoop would now have 4 sub-projects: Common, HDFS, YARN &
MapReduce. As today, the dependencies *do not change*:
>> - Common is the base
>> - HDFS depends only on Common
>> - YARN depends only on Common & HDFS
>> - MapReduce depends on Common, HDFS & YARN.
>>
>> # Jira & Mailing lists

>> We already use separate MAPREDUCE jira issues for making changes to YARN (ResourceManager,
NodeManager) and to the MapReduce framework (MapReduce ApplicationMaster, MapReduce runtime
etc.). Hence, this isn't a much of a change.

>> # Subversion
>>
>> Not much at all! YARN has, since the beginning, been developed with the understanding
that it is very independent of MapReduce and the code-bases are already independent i.e. hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-yarn
and hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-mapreduce-client.