hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Clarification about 2.* branches
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:16:17 GMT

Not sure when it stopped being so, but we always created release tags for the releases and
do away with the staging branches. I find it confusing as to which branches to commit to when
we have dead branches lying around.

Regarding 0.23.*, you are right, I was about to send a separate email regarding those too.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On Jun 6, 2012, at 2:10 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> Hey Vinod,
>
> Out of curiosity, why delete the branch?  Might make spelunking for
> svn revs that correspond to a release hard.  If we're deleting old
> release branches might as well delete the others (branch-0.23.0,
> branch-0.23.0-rc0, branch-0.23.1, branch-0.23.2, etc) as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Eli
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
> <vinodkv@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>

>> I checked with Nicholas also who did the only merge into branch-2.0.0-alpha after
the release and got a confirmation that I can delete the branch.

>> Removing the branch now.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> +Vinod
>>

>> On Jun 5, 2012, at 5:45 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for blowing away branch-2.0.0-alpha now, we have the release tag if necessary.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun

in CHANGES.txt: 2.0.1-alpha unreleased and 2.0.0-alpha released. It is a little confusing,
seems like branch-2.0.0-alpha was a staging branch for the release and can be thrown away.

I'll blow away the later and rename the section in CHANGES.txt to branch-2.