hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Clarification about 2.* branches
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:20:45 GMT
Makes sense. Thanks Vinod.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
<vinodkv@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Not sure when it stopped being so, but we always created release tags for the releases
and do away with the staging branches. I find it confusing as to which branches to commit
to when we have dead branches lying around.

> Regarding 0.23.*, you are right, I was about to send a separate email regarding those
too.

> Thanks,
> +Vinod
>

> On Jun 6, 2012, at 2:10 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
>> Hey Vinod,
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why delete the branch?  Might make spelunking for
>> svn revs that correspond to a release hard.  If we're deleting old
>> release branches might as well delete the others (branch-0.23.0,
>> branch-0.23.0-rc0, branch-0.23.1, branch-0.23.2, etc) as well?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
>> <vinodkv@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> I checked with Nicholas also who did the only merge into branch-2.0.0-alpha after
the release and got a confirmation that I can delete the branch.

>>> Removing the branch now.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> +Vinod

sections in CHANGES.txt: 2.0.1-alpha unreleased and 2.0.0-alpha released. It is a little confusing,
seems like branch-2.0.0-alpha was a staging branch for the release and can be thrown away.

not, I'll blow away the later and rename the section in CHANGES.txt to branch-2.