hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Heads up: hadoop-2.0.1-alpha
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:09:43 GMT

On Jun 8, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Finger, Jay wrote:

> I only recently discovered the "general" alias, my apologies if this was all described
in the past and I missed it...

> The "X.Y.Z-alpha" has been confusing to me.  When I first saw "2.0.0-alpha" I assumed
that there would be multiple "2.0.0" branches, for example 2.0.0-beta, 2.0.0-rc1, 2.0.0-rc2,
2.0.0-release.  It seems fairly clear that this was an incorrect assumption.

> Am I correct in my current assumption that the "-alpha" does not imply any future releases
for the version, but is instead a redundant adjective applied to the name to make it explicit
to the world at large that 2.0.0 (or 2.0.1) is an alpha quality branch?

Yes, absolutely - this is to warn the world at large that 2.x is still 'alpha' quality.

See the discussion on general@ here: http://s.apache.org/A5T
Some more info: http://hortonworks.com/blog/apache-hadoop-2-0-alpha-released/

hth,
Arun

> jay

with some more major add ons I think we can get done soon:

> # Auto NN Failover (thanks for the HDFS-3042 merge today Todd) and follow-ons as necessary.
> # Pending security work for YARN (anything for HDFS w.r.t HA?)  # RM Restart (MAPREDUCE-4326)
 # Container re-use (MAPREDUCE-3902)  # Multi-resource scheduling for CS (MAPREDUCE-4327).

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.