hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Finger, Jay" <jfin...@ebay.com>
Subject RE: Heads up: hadoop-2.0.1-alpha
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 18:59:24 GMT
I only recently discovered the "general" alias, my apologies if this was all described in the
past and I missed it...

The "X.Y.Z-alpha" has been confusing to me.  When I first saw "2.0.0-alpha" I assumed that
there would be multiple "2.0.0" branches, for example 2.0.0-beta, 2.0.0-rc1, 2.0.0-rc2, 2.0.0-release.
 It seems fairly clear that this was an incorrect assumption.

Am I correct in my current assumption that the "-alpha" does not imply any future releases
for the version, but is instead a redundant adjective applied to the name to make it explicit
to the world at large that 2.0.0 (or 2.0.1) is an alpha quality branch?

jay

-----Original Message-----
From: Arun C Murthy [mailto:acm@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 12:08 AM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Heads up: hadoop-2.0.1-alpha

Folks,

 I'm considering cutting a hadoop-2.0.1-alpha release within the next four weeks or so with
some more major add ons I think we can get done soon:

 # Auto NN Failover (thanks for the HDFS-3042 merge today Todd) and follow-ons as necessary.
 # Pending security work for YARN (anything for HDFS w.r.t HA?)  # RM Restart (MAPREDUCE-4326)
 # Container re-use (MAPREDUCE-3902)  # Multi-resource scheduling for CS (MAPREDUCE-4327).

 If you would like others please set the 'Target Version' and I'll watch that list.

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy