hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve.lough...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: why hadoop choose maven as its build tool?
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 21:10:23 GMT
another reason: some people felt that the ant builds were excessively
deterministic. by including random downloads of -SNAPSHOT artifacts the
build has been made more enteratining

On 16 May 2012 21:40, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:

> I would also mention a benefit of testing and inter-component integration
> standardization. This is, essentially, what BigTop has done by introducing
> and
> supporting open-source solution for creating and validating Hadoop stacks.
>

> Funnily enough, this simple concept was too hard to grok for some of the
> commercial vendors. The management there were literally insisting on doing
> _manual_ testing for their packages (at least at the time that when I was
> working for one of them and observing it:) But I guess this is a different
> story...

I seem to recall showing someone (todd?) at an apachecon a few years back
how my ant build would scp the just-built RPMs to a test VM, install them,
walk them through their lifecycle and then verify that they uninstall.