hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jagane Sundar <jag...@sundar.org>
Subject RE: why hadoop choose maven as its build tool?
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 21:23:34 GMT
Hallelujah.

I thought I was the only one who felt that maven's non-deterministic result was just plain
batty.

In this mavenized world, is it guaranteed that if I build twice using maven on two different
machines in two different locations, I will get the same exact bits?

If this guarantee exists, then I apologize for polluting the Internet with this posting.
If this is not true, then this is not a build system - it is a right royal cr** shoot system
masquerading as a build system.

Jagane

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve.loughran@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:10 PM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: why hadoop choose maven as its build tool?

another reason: some people felt that the ant builds were excessively
deterministic. by including random downloads of -SNAPSHOT artifacts the
build has been made more enteratining

On 16 May 2012 21:40, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:

> I would also mention a benefit of testing and inter-component integration
> standardization. This is, essentially, what BigTop has done by introducing
> and
> supporting open-source solution for creating and validating Hadoop stacks.
>

> Funnily enough, this simple concept was too hard to grok for some of the
> commercial vendors. The management there were literally insisting on doing
> _manual_ testing for their packages (at least at the time that when I was
> working for one of them and observing it:) But I guess this is a different
> story...

I seem to recall showing someone (todd?) at an apachecon a few years back
how my ant build would scp the just-built RPMs to a test VM, install them,
walk them through their lifecycle and then verify that they uninstall.